Annex IX:Valuing Hydropower Services - Phase II
TASK 1 – Energy, Grid Services and Adaptation
- To present a holistic coverage of the role of hydropower in providing hydropower balancing and flexibility services to the electricity grid. This will allow hydropower developers, agencies, regulators and stakeholders to have a clear understanding of the issues and options for management and mitigation.
- To highlight the important role for hydropower in new and transitioning power systems globally. This will enable the appropriate valuing (and incentivizing) of hydropower balancing and flexibility services.
Subsets of this Objective include:
- Clearly identifying the role of hydropower and the energy services provided in various future scenarios,
- Addressing issues, alternatives and options for flexibility and balancing
- Estimating costs in providing services and subsequent benefits to the power system
TASK 2 – Climate Change Adaptation Services:
- Understanding therole of hydropower in minimising or mitigating risks associated with a changing climate
- Assessing the value that hydropower provides in minimising or mitigating risks associated with a changing climate
TASK 3 – Hydropower Balancing and Flexibility Roadmap
To collate the outputs from Annex Tasks into a Hydropower Balancing and Flexibility Roadmap and its dissemination.