Frequently Asked Questions
The International Energy's Renewable Energy Essentials: Hydropower (IEA, 2010), which is available for free download (pdf,1.5MB), is a very useful resource.
The purpose of the following links is to help people searching for information in various areas related to hydroelectricity. The answers are provided for informational purposes only and the mention of organizations and/or links to other web sites is not an endorsement of any organization or web site content.
Click on the following
1. How does hydropower work?
2. How is power generated?
3. How much power is created from one generator in one day? How many houses can this provide power to?
4. What does hydropower cost?
5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of hydroelectric power system?
6. How much more power can be produced by refurbishing older projects?
7. How much hydro power could be built at undeveloped sites?
8. What is the difference between small-scale and large-scale hydropower projects?
9. How much hydro power is produced by small-scale hydro power projects in the world?
10. What is required to set up a small hydro installation?
11. What is hydropower's history?
12. How much energy can you gain from a given amount of water falling at a certain height and how can you determine water supply for a location?