Welcome to the website of IEA Hydropower
The International Energy Agency Implementing Agreement
for Hydropower Technologies and Programmes
On this site you will find:
- information about our current activities
- details of our past achievements
- reports & technical information to download
- hydropower news & information
- links to hydropower journals and organisations worldwide
What's new at IEA Hydro?
IEA Roadmap for Hydropower Launched
- The International Energy Agency's Technology Roadmap for Hydropower was launched at HYDRO 2012, Bilbao, Spain, on 29 October, 2012, by Ambassador Richard Jones, Deputy Executive Director of the IEA.
- The Technology Roadmap for Hydropower details action needed from policy makers to allow hydroelectric production to double, and addresses necessary conditions, including resolving environmental issues and gaining public acceptance. Download a copy of the Roadmap from the IEA website.
GHG Measurement Guidelines Launched
- Hydro 2012 also saw the launch of the Annex XII: Guidelines for Quantitative Analysis of net GHG Emissions from Reservoirs, Volume 1: Measurement Programs and Data Analysis. These guidelines provide a reference framework for measurement procedures and focus on the determination of net GHG emissions, taking into account unrelated anthropogenic sources. For more information on the guidelines and the work of this Annex...
New Small Hydro International Gateway Launched
- Annex II has launched its exciting new Small Hydro International Gateway website. Completely resdesigned and updated, it offers the small hydro community a portal for presenting state-of-the-art Innovatives Technologies, and a forum for Resource, Technological and Regulatory Issues Related to Small Scale Hydropower. Visit now...
Other Conference NewsIEAHydro hosted three workshops at HYDRO 2012, in Bilbao. In addition to the Annex XII GHG workshop, two other sessions brought the number of people attending to over 200.
- Annex IX: Hydropower Services. 30 October, 2012
The Annex IX workshop introduced our investigative programme on services provided by hydro projects to enhance the understanding of the economic values of energy management (ancillary services provided to the electric grid), water management and other socio-economic services. Followup discussion highlighted the importance of valuing hydropower services to the future growth of hydropower. For more information on the work of this Annex ...
- Annex XI: Renewal and upgrading of hydro plants. 31 October, 2012
This session presented and discussed the ongoing work being undertaken by the IEA Hydro Annex XI to investigate best practices associated with the renewal and upgrading of hydro facilities. It included a panel discussion on the value of improving existing hydro plants. For more information on the work of this Annex ...
Other Hydropower Resources
- A major initiative of the US Department of Energy in collaboration with Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the Hydropower Advancement Project which aims to develop and disseminate best practices, assessment, and analysis tools to stimulate and accelerate increases in hydropower asset performance and value. For more on the project...
- The International Energy's Renewable Energy Essentials: Hydropower (IEA, 2010) is available for free download. 1.5MB
- IEA Hydro's "Update of Recommendations on Hydropower and the Environment", prepared by Annex XII, are now available for download
- The "Manual for Hydropower Inventory Studies of River Basins" (38MB, pdf), a joint collaboration between the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME), Brazil, CEPEL and The World Bank, is now available in English. This 2010 edition, a translation of the 2007 Portuguese edition, "intends to offer the international community a basic reference to be considered in the portfolio of possible energy solutions in developing countries, which should be of interest to multilateral financing and development organizations".