The International Energy Agency Implementing Agreement
for Hydropower Technologies and Programmes
On this site you will find:
- information about our current activities
- details of our past achievements
- reports & technical information to download
- hydropower news & information
- links to hydropower journals and organisations worldwide
WHATS NEW AT IEAHYDRO
Workshop in Rovaniemi, Finland
The IEA Hydro Executive Committee and the working groups of the IEA Hydropower Agreement held their meetings in Rovaniemi, Finland 9 -13 June 2014. Finnish Energy Industries and Kemijoki Oy hosted the meetings that have brought together 50 hydropower experts from nine countries. In addition to the working group meetings, the Executive Committee organised a hydropower conference on 10 June, with presentations by both Finnish and international speakers. The discussion focused on the role of hydropower as the most important source of renewable energy worldwide. Presentations addressed topical issues related to the global role of hydropower as well as fish migration. For more about the conference and individual presentations go to the Kemijoki Oy website.
New Annex on Hydropower and Fish
IEA Hydro has a new annex, Annex XIII on “Hydropower and Fish”. For more information....
IEA Roadmap for Hydropower
- The International Energy Agency's Technology Roadmap for Hydropower (launched October, 2012) details action needed from policy makers to allow hydroelectric production to double, and addresses necessary conditions, including resolving environmental issues and gaining public acceptance. Download a copy of the Roadmap from the IEA website.
GHG Measurement Guidelines Launched
- Also launched in October 2012 were the Annex XII: Guidelines for Quantitative Analysis of net GHG Emissions from Reservoirs, Volume 1: Measurement Programs and Data Analysis. These guidelines provide a reference framework for measurement procedures and focus on the determination of net GHG emissions, taking into account unrelated anthropogenic sources. For more information on the guidelines and the work of this Annex...
New Small Hydro International Gateway Launched
- Annex II has launched its exciting new Small Hydro International Gateway website. Completely resdesigned and updated, it offers the small hydro community a portal for presenting state-of-the-art Innovatives Technologies, and a forum for Resource, Technological and Regulatory Issues Related to Small Scale Hydropower. Visit now...
Other Hydropower Resources
- A major initiative of the US Department of Energy in collaboration with Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the Hydropower Advancement Project which aims to develop and disseminate best practices, assessment, and analysis tools to stimulate and accelerate increases in hydropower asset performance and value. For more on the project...
- The International Energy's Renewable Energy Essentials: Hydropower (IEA, 2010) is available for free download. 1.5MB
- The "Manual for Hydropower Inventory Studies of River Basins" (38MB, pdf), a joint collaboration between the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME), Brazil, CEPEL and The World Bank, is now available in English. This 2010 edition, a translation of the 2007 Portuguese edition, "intends to offer the international community a basic reference to be considered in the portfolio of possible energy solutions in developing countries, which should be of interest to multilateral financing and development organizations".