Annex II: Small-Scale Hydropower (2000 - Present)
Regardless of the size, advances in fully automated hydropower installations and reductions in manufacturing costs have made small scale hydropower increasingly attractive. The IEA Hydro task force on Small Scale Hydropower (Annex II) has been active in several areas.
- Assessment tools & methodologies, financing, economic risk & sensitivity analysis and more
- Analysis of government policies & experiences, what works & what doesn’t
- Providing a forum for the exchange of small-hydro data through this website
- Providing information on state-of-art technologies for the development of small hydro projects
TASK A1: Small Hydro International Gateway
In 2012 the task force on Small-Scale Hydropower (Annex II) launched its Small Hydro International Gateway to facilitate the development of new small hydro projects.
As of 31 May 2017 the Small Hydro International Gateway will close, with small hydro resources integrated into the IEA Hydro website and now accessed via the links from this page.
TASK A3: Government Policies and Experience – What Works and What Doesn’t? REPORT TO BE ISSUED LATE 2017.
TASK A5: Sustainable Small-Scale Hydropower in Local Communities. COMPLETED 2017
The Final Report (March 2017) consists of a summary report and 3 appendices. DOWNLOAD the report as follows:.
- Summary Report
- Appendix 1 - Current Status of small-scale hydropower
- Appendix 2 - Good Practice Reports - Part 1: pages 1-104
- Appendix 2 - Good Practice Reports - Part 2: pages 105-196
- Appendix 3 - Literature list
TASK B2: Innovative Technologies and applications for small, mini and micro hydro. COMPLETED 2010.
Report findings and detailed informaton are available on our Small Hydro Innovative Technologies page
Small Hydro Resources on this website
Resources previously accessed via the Annex II Small-Hydro International Gateway have been reviewed, updated and integrated into the IEA Hydro website. From 31 May 2017 easy access to the resources is as follows:
SMALL HYDRO INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES - See here
- ASSESSMENT TOOLS AND METHODOLOGIES - See here
EXTERNAL REPORTS & OTHER RESOURCES: A database of reports on all aspects of small hydro and access to other resources from a variety of international sources. Access the small hydro resources here.
PAST ANNEX II REPORTS: Download all reports of this Annex from our Publications page.
- A1 - World-Wide Small Hydro Information and Technology Exchange Website
- A3 - Government Policies and Experience – What Works and What Doesn’t?
- A5 - Sustainable Small-Scale Hydropower in Local Communities
- B2 - Innovative Technologies and applications for small, mini and micro hydro – On-going requirement for the review and approval of new technologies
- B5 - Computerised tools for preliminary design, assessment and equipment selection – Completed
Japan, Norway, United States
IEA Hydro invites interested parties to contribute to this programme of work. For more information or to suggest resources for our database, please contact the IEA Hydro Secretary.
Annex Members' Login
Certain annex information is protected and can only be accessed by members. Please login with your username and password to view the page.