Annex XII: Hydropower and the Environment
Brazil is leading this major initiative with CEPEL as the Project Manager, and the work undertaken by CEPEL in partnership with Brazilian and other universities and research institutions from ExCo member countries, Japan, Norway, Finland, and the USA. Canada agreed to make contributions to the work of the Annex and other contributions are presently expected from Portugal and France.
The objectives of the comprehensive work program are to:
- increase knowledge of the processes
- establish guidelines for planning studies on the carbon balance in reservoirs
- standardize GHG flux evaluation methods.
Guidelines will issued in 2 volumes
- Volume 1: Guidelines for the Quantitative Analysis of Net GHG Emissions from Reservoirs
- Volume 2: Modelling
Work Program and Timeline
Since the kickoff meeting in August 2009 at CEPEL’s offices in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, a detailed program of work has been developed, three Annex meetings have been held, and workshops have taken place at HYDRO 2009, in Lyon, France, and Lisbon, Portugal in October, 2010.
- The first draft of Volume 1 will be issued March 2011.
- Field measurements will be undertaken in 2011 and 2012, covering four campaigns
- Development of the reservoir modeling tools will be completed in 2012
- Volume 2: Modelling is due for completion 2012
- Best Practice Guidelines to manage GHG emissions, will be drafted by the end of 2012
- Communication tools for transparent dissemination of results will be developed in 2012
Invitation to participate
IEA Hydro invites interested parties to contribute to this program of work, starting with participation in the Annex meetings and panel discussions. For more information, please contact:
Jorge Machado Damazio CEPEL - Centro de Pesquisas de Energia Elétrica/Electrical Energy Research Cente Departamento de Otimização Energética e Meio Ambiente
Ave Horácio Maecedo, 354
Rio de Janeiro - RJ
Tel: +55-21-2598 6086
With Finland leading the initiative, it was decided in 2009, that the five main Recommendations of Annex III ("Environmental and Social Aspects of Hydropower", IEA, 2000) should be reviewed, revised and updated to reflect the present situation for Hydropower.
Annex III had identified five areas which posed the most significant challenges to the hydropower sector. Recommendations were made for each of the five areas for use by government decision makers, regulators and other project approval agencies, financial institutions and government aid agencies
The study laid the foundation for subsequent work which is contributing to the global effort of making hydropower development more sustainable.
- IEA Hydropower's Annex VIII “Hydropower Good Practices: Environmental Mitigation and Benefits” (NEF, 2006)
- The International Hydropower Association (IHA)’s "Sustainability Guidelines" (IHA 2004), written primarily for hydropower developers and owners
The updated recommendations are now available.
- Update of Annex III Recommendations (October 2010) (pdf, 872kb)
For more information on this work, or to make a comment, please contact the IEA Hydro Secretary.
Manager, Real Estate
Hydropower and Business Development
P.O. Box 8131
Tel: +358 16 740 2821